Video: Why Agile organizations need Agile Change Management

    Posted by Audra Proctor on Sep 8, 2020

    There seems little doubt that Agile is really creating a bit of stir in organizations right now. But Agile is a bit of a shifting sand and we think its important to take a closer look at the topic and, in particular how it relates to Change Management.  

     In the first of our new video series we consider:

    • What type of leadership and organizational practices are needed to effectively support Agile 
    • How 30-40% see it a top 3 priority but only 10% of organizations have successfully delivered Agile* 
    • How some convenient myths have grown up around Agile that we believe are worth challenging
    • What the implication of all of this is for Change Management in an Agile environment

    Do you need to take a more Agile approach in your Change Management?


    Then contact us for an informal, no-obligation discussion, 

    On how we can apply our globally recognized PCI ® (People Centred Implementation) methodology, digital tools and role-based learning to quickly have an impact on your organization.    

    Simply contact us and one of our Change experts will be in touch to schedule a discussion. 


    Video Transcript

    I think Agile's creating quite a stir at the moment. It reminds me actually of that really famous piece by Marc Andreessen in The Wall Street Journal in 2011 where he said that, "Software was eating the world." I think not only is software eating the world, but actually Agile organizations are eating the world.

    Agile is a bit of a shifting sand, I think. It's driven by customer needs and they're increasing. And organizations that are successful are a bit more adaptable, a bit more nimble. I think it takes a different kind of leadership, different organizational practices, the ability to really adopt new technologies quickly, cost-effectively.

    And McKinsey would have us believe that only 10% of organizations have actually nailed it. Those are the origins of Agile. Only 10% have nailed it, so what about the other 90%? We're seeing a fair few transformations that are missed, and I think 30 to 40% of people that we're talking to are saying that this is one of their top three priorities.

    It's all the buzz of Agile. There's quite a bit of confusion and I think it's to do with the definitions. There's Agile, which is the organization's ambition to be agile, to be fostered, to be able to deliver more complex changes, to respond quicker to customer needs.

    And then there is Agile the method, which is about small teams working on short sprints, delivering pieces of work. And I think until those two things are clear, there's going to be this confusion around Agile. What is not confusing, actually to me, is that both expressions of agile are about equipping an organization to be able to deliver change and implement it successfully.

    Change management has always been an enabling capability. It's about ensuring that the organization has what it needs and people have the skills, they have the support, they're prepared, they're ready to deliver change, to adjust their behavior so that major change can be successful.

    Having a capability that's embedded across the whole organization are essential for Agile. And also, Agile projects need to be implemented. They need to be delivered and we need people to do that. In the change management space, we've been building organizational change capabilities for over 25 years now. And a few years ago, we took a decision to roll up our capability onto a digital platform. And we call that platform Roadmap Pro.

    And what it allows us to do is actually to upscale organizations and their teams much quicker and more cost effectively. We can scale the capability, the skills, and the tools to the roles of the people inside the organization. We can scale it to different geographies, different functions, different business units. So we're better placed with our digital platform to actually align with Agile rather than slow it down.

    Tags: change leadership, change management expetise, agile leaders, agile change, agile change managment, change leadership example, leading cultural change

    Leave a comment

    Recent Posts


    Posts by Tag

    see all